Career Opportunity at COSTI
COSTI REQUIRES HOUSING WORKER FOR STREETS TO HOMES PROGRAM AT ITS NORTH YORK CENTRE
This is a non-union contract position scheduled to work 28 hours per week.
• Delivers programs/services to Streets to Homes participants within the City mandate and closely collaborates with Street to Homes City staff and service providers.
• Provides escort, home visits, and off-site services using public transit to deliver post housing stabilization services.
• Provides case management planning, supportive counselling, crisis intervention and information and referral services.
• Negotiates and mediates with landlords, OW, ODSP and others on behalf of clients.
• Enables clients to establish and maintain links with appropriate services including services relating to general health care, addiction treatment, mental health care, ID and document replacement services, volunteer opportunities, job placement, and job training.
• Provides life skills training in areas including landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities, budgeting and housekeeping.
• Records client and service data in CIS, the agency database and in TGRIP, City of Toronto portal, completes narrative reports.
• Provides eviction prevention services, including informal mediation, access to emergency resources. Accesses long-term housing opportunities for clients.
• Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of one (1) year experience working within the Housing Help Sector utilizing the Housing First model of service.
- Demonstrated experience in housing search, housing applications, and connecting with landlords.
- Demonstrated experience of completing financial housing support application (HSF, OESP, LEAP, Bridging Grant and TTHAP etc.)
• Demonstrated knowledge of eviction prevention, housing access, housing stabilization and special priority housing applications.
• Demonstrated ability to provide case management to homeless or at risk of homelessness marginalized clients with complex needs who live with the impact of poverty, mental illness and substance use.
• Strong skills in landlord recruitment and mediation, and client advocacy.
• Previous experience in supportive and motivational counselling.
• Demonstrated experience delivering workshops on Residential Tenancy Act and other housing-related topics.
• Strong understanding of market rent and subsidized housing systems and policies.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing refugees and immigrants, race relations, gender, abuse survivors and mental health.
• Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
• Must be willing to work flexible hours including some evenings.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
• Knowledge of a second language would be an asset.
|1700 Wilson Avenue, Toronto
Duration of Position:
|April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022
Starting Salary Range:
|$46,385 to $49,922 per annum + benefits
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall, this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
This position provides mobile case management services for previously homeless clients to enable them to stabilize their housing situations and live independently.
If you are interested, please quote Reference #47-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.