North York Rent Bank Access Program
COSTI’s Rent Bank Access Program provides information and support to low-income households to help stabilize their housing, prevent eviction and homelessness through access to interest-free loans and energy arrears grant.
- Holistic assessment of clients’ needs
- Access to interest free loans to pay rent arrears
- Access to LEAP energy grant program, an annual one time grant available to low income families and individuals who have energy bills from gas or hydro that are currently in arrears, or have recently received a disconnection notice
- Information, orientation and education on the topics of money management, tenants’ rights and responsibilities and other relevant community services that assist families facing crisis
- Case management, counselling, advocacy support and referral for post housing stabilization
- Crisis intervention
- Negotiations and mediation with landlords to avoid evictions
- Individual life skills support in the area of financial management
- Advocacy for change to reduce the number of evictions
Staff at this location speak English, French, Italian and Spanish. Other languages can be made available upon request.
Who is Eligible
Services are available to low-income individuals and families residing in the North York area who are on the verge of being evicted due to rent arrears.
Eligible applicants for rent loans are: the leaseholder of a rental unit covered by provincial tenant legislation, individuals who are employed or receiving EI, CPP, OAS or WSIB benefits; paying market rent (non-subsidized); have rental arrears of two months or less; have received written notice of non-payment or termination from their landlords; can afford their rent in the long term and have a legal status in Canada.
Applicants cannot be homeowners, or receive benefits through Ontario Works, the Ontario Disability Support Program or OSAP.
Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Contact Details for:
North York Rent Bank Access Program
Please call for an assessment and appointment.
This Program is Located at:
COSTI's North York Rent Bank Access Program is funded by the City of Toronto, Homeless Initiatives Fund, and the United Way Greater Toronto.
View Workshop Calendars
Language and Settlement Issues
Feelings of isolation and feeling like you don’t belong
Dealing with conflicting work and family responsibilities while trying to attend English language studies
Accessing outreach programs, programs to help you understand the Canadian culture
Getting in touch with community groups that share your language or culture
Accessing social services
Enrolling your children in school
Finding a job
Cultural Excursions, Reading, Video, and Web Resources
Settlement.Org provides newcomers with information and resources to settle in Ontario. The website offers valuable information on education, employment, health, housing, immigration, language and literacy, and legal services.
211Toronto is a directory of over 20,000 community, social, health, and government, health services.
Does the landlord have a right to increase my rent?
Read about Rent Bank Access Centres Map, Housing Help resources in Ontario and your Housing Legal Rights and Responsibilities
Rent Bank Access Centres Map
Do you need Housing Help in other parts of Ontario?
To learn about your housing legal rights and responsibilities:
Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario
Federation of Metro Tenants Associations
Your Legal Rights
Landlord and Tenant Board
Landlord and Tenant Board 2012 Rent Increae Guide
Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation