The objective of this workshop is to assist internationally-trained clients seeking employment as certified tradespersons in Ontario.
The workshop series delivery is based on the principles of adult education methodology. The strategies and techniques accommodate diverse learning styles and are relevant to the needs of Internationally-Trained Individuals.
- acquire knowledge about the skilled trades.
- understand how the trades apprenticeship system works, including roles and responsibilities of key stakeholders.
- learn about the skilled trade that they seek entry to; certification requirements, interprovincial mobility, and the regulatory legislation.
- identify the detailed steps to becoming certified in Ontario:
- identify documentation required to apply for certification
- prepare for an assessment interview with the workplace support services branch office
- prepare for the Certificate of Qualification Examination
- receive resources and referral information
- identify benefits and challenges of apprenticeship training for newcomers
- identify the detailed steps to complete apprenticeship training
- raise awareness of the rights of an apprentice