Career Opportunity at COSTI
English Language Instructor
BE A PART OF A DYNAMIC AND DIVERSE ORGANIZATION AS AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR FOR ITS NURTURING CREATIVITY AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN WOMEN(NCEW) PROGRAM AT ITS TORONTO NORTH YORK LOCATION
This is a part-time non-Union contract position scheduled to work 30 hrs. per cycle for a total of
8 cycles. Classes will be conducted on Saturdays (9:00 am to 2:30 pm) online or in-person.
- Design, implement and instruct English as a Second Language within the framework of employment training based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
- Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
- Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the Curriculum Guidelines in a task-based program for CLB levels 3-5.
- Conduct ongoing needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly.
- Design assessment tasks for ongoing evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
- Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software and MS Office programs.
- Integrate online resources and delivery tools such as Avenue.ca in language instruction.
- Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required.
- Organize special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
- Assist in outreach activities to recruit clients as required.
- TESL Ontario certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario.
- Minimum 3 years of experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching employment-related language training to CLB level 3-5 learners.
- In-depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and Aveneue Stage 2 training.
- Previous experience providing online facilitation or online course delivery. Ability to provide technical troubleshooting will be considered an asset. Experience providing adult instruction using software associated with the LINC Program (e.g Avenue) as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, email, and the Internet.
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners.
- Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
- Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
|1700 Wilson Ave., Toronto, ON
Duration of Position:
|April 3, 2023 – March 31, 2024
Starting Salary Range:
|$37.06 per hour
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, by quoting reference #73-23, and clicking on the below link:
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.