Career Opportunity at COSTI
Instructor - Enhanced Language Training
The ELT program combines advanced level workplace language training (Canadian Language Benchmark Levels 6+) with online sector specific terminology training and job placement for internationally trained professionals (ITI). This program adopts a blended language training approach which delivers the workplace language training in class and the sector specific terminology training online. The ELT instructor is responsible for the in-class language instruction and the online sector specific terminology training via a Moodle platform.
This is a part time non-Union contract position scheduled to work 20 hours per week**
In-person language classes (Tuesday to Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
Online facilitation (Mondays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30p.m.)
COSTI REQUIRES AN INSTRUCTOR FOR ENHANCED
LANGUAGE TRAINING FOR
WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE
RICHMOND HILL AND NEWMARKET WELCOME CENTRES
- Adapt and further develop existing curriculum and teaching materials to CLB 6-8 ELT ITIs.
- Design, implement and instruct Canadian Workplace English as a Second Language classes at CLBs 6-8 through a blended approach combining in-person and online delivery.
- Deliver instruction to concurrent groups of in-person and remote simultaneously through video conferencing tools in the classroom when needed.
- Instruct and facilitate participants’ online learning of sector specific terminology and language usage. Monitor learners’ progress.
- Design a long-range plan and daily lesson plans based on the curriculum and learners’ language needs using a task based approach.
- Conduct on-going needs assessments of participants.
- Develop a diversity of course materials that meet the objectives of the curriculum and the pre-employment preparation of learners.
- Develop and implement program evaluation tools for on-going and final assessment of learners’ progress. Provide feedback to learners for improvement.
- Provide feedback to program supervisor and team members for program coordination and adjustment.
- Creates a non-threatening and positive learning environment by acknowledging and respecting the students' existing skills and life experiences.
- Maintain attendance records, participants’ progress reports and other documentation as required.
- TESL Ontario certified.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience teaching ESL or LINC at the higher levels.
- Priority consideration will be given to those who have experience teaching employment oriented and sector-specific language training programs
- Previous experience providing online facilitation or online course delivery. Ability to provide technical troubleshooting will be considered an asset.
- Proficient in online tools for synchronous and asynchronous instruction including but not limited to MS Teams, Zoom, MS Office Suite, etc.
- Direct experience with Moodle, virtual seminars or other Online Learning Management Systems.
- Experience in curriculum design or adaptation for higher levels/pre-employment language training programs.
- In depth knowledge of and experience using the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines or the Curriculum Guidelines for the Ontario Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program.
- Working knowledge of the Centre for Canadian Benchmarks’ Language for Success Framework
- Completion of Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) will be an asset.
- Knowledge of access to professions issues facing newcomers, job search techniques, employment related vocabulary and professional terminology.
- Direct experience in one or more of the following sectors will be an asset: Accounting, Finance, IT, Health Care, Office Administration and Customer Service.
- Ability to work in both Richmond Hill and Newmarket Welcome Centers.
- Must be fully vaccinated or exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
|9325 Yonge St., Richmond Hill Welcome Centre
Duration of Position:
|January 4, 2024 to March 29, 2024
Starting Salary Range:
|$37.06 per hour
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, by quoting reference #252-23, and clicking on the below link:
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.