Career Opportunity at COSTI
COSTI REQUIRES A HOUSING COUNSELLOR FOR ITS RALPH CHIODO FAMILY IMMIGRANT RECEPTION CENTRE
This is a full time non-Union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week**
(current incumbent is on secondment)
• Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for government assisted and/or private-sponsored refugees upon arrival in Canada.
• Escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
• Secures appropriate and affordable housing for refugees within a timeframe.
• Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
• Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
• Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
• Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database (CIS), prepares monthly reports and updates funder’s database (iCARE).
• Conducts mandatory RAP Housing orientation session to ensure that client understands their housing options/cost of living and their rights and responsibilities under tenant and landlord act.
• Prepares Clients’ Income Letters/Financial sheets.
• Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
• Ensures that moving procedures/furniture order are in place for each client.
• Prepare Move Out report for the Client Support Services (CSS) program.
• Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of one (1) year experience working within the Housing Help Sector.
• Previous experience working with working with refugees, survivors of torture, persecution, war or abuse.
• Previous case management experience is a must.
• Fluency in Arabic is considered an asset.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing resettled refugees in general and the Resettlement Assistance Program more specifically.
• Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area and surrounding areas.
• Knowledge and ability to integrate anti-oppression, critical disability, LGBTQI2S and trans-positivity approach in support of strengths-based principles and practices.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
|100 Lippincott Street, Toronto
Duration of Position:
|April 5, 2021 to December 31, 2021
Starting Salary Range:
|$ 46,385 to $49,922 per annum + benefits
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall, this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
The Ralph Chiodo Family Immigrant Reception Centre services are provided in a twenty-four hour, seven days a week residential setting which is a temporary home to up to 100 clients.
If you are interested, please quote Reference #55-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.