COVID-19: SERVICE NOTICE TO OUR CLIENTS AND INDIVIDUALS IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE
During these difficult and uncertain times, COSTI has had to close its physical locations for the safety of its clients and employees. Effective March 25, 2020, COSTI offices are closed, with the exception of our refugee shelters.
We want to assure our clients that all our staff are available to serve you. You can connect with them via phone, video-conferencing, or email. You can also participate in some of the online workshops and webinars we are already offering. We are working hard to develop additional online resources for you.
Our staff will be checking in with you over the next few days to make sure you are okay and to provide help wherever we can.
If you are currently receiving services from COSTI, or have a scheduled appointment or meeting at one of our locations, you will be contacted by a COSTI employee, to confirm whether the appointment or meeting will take place via telephone or virtually.
To make an appointment or speak to someone urgently, please call the telephone number listed below each service. Our staff will put you in contact with an employee who is best suited to address your concern. You can also get in touch by email.
COSTI Employment Services offers one-on-one counselling, online workshops and webinars for adults and youth. Services include:
- Career Assessment and Planning
- Job Search Counselling, Placement and Job Retention Services
- Ontario Works Preparation and Placement Services
- Employment Programs for Newcomers and Internationally Trained Individuals
- Enhanced Economic Opportunities for Older Unemployed Workers
- Online Services: Resource Room Workshops; Webinars; Employment Strategies for Professionals Courses, Trades and Apprenticeship Workshops and a Virtual Library
Services to Employers
COSTI pre-screens applicants to the employer’s specifications; schedules interviews; develops custom training plans and works with employers to understand the unique business needs of small and large companies. If you are currently hiring, please take a moment to view the services available to you:
- Canada-Ontario Job Grant
- Hire an Apprentice & Build Your Business!
- The TRIEC Mentoring Partnership
When calling or leaving a message, please let us know whether you live in Peel Region, Toronto, or York Region.
We invite you to access our online webinars, workshops and e-resource centre by clicking here. New workshops are being added to accommodate the cancellation of some in-person services.
- Service assessment and intake to help us understand what supports you need
- Supportive counselling
- Crisis intervention
- Referrals to shelter services for shelter, food banks
- Assisting with market rent housing search
- Help with online applications for subsidized housing
- Eviction prevention service
- Assistance with Rent Bank applications
- Assistance with Low Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) , Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) applications
INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY COUNSELLING
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
Our Social Workers are available to help you and your family:
- Individual Counselling: marital, family, mental health
- Crisis intervention
- Information and referrals to other community and mental health institutional resources such as hospitals, addiction facilities, etc.
- Confidential counselling and safety planning for women who are experiencing domestic violence or intimate partner abuse; information and referrals to shelters or legal services
LANGUAGE AND SKILLS TRAINING SERVICES IN PEEL REGION, TORONTO, YORK REGION
Call the number above to speak with a COSTI employee about connecting and participating in our LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) classes, ELT (Enhanced Language Training) program, or computer training courses.
LINC and ELT in Newmarket and York Region
Welcome Centre Immigrant Services
The Welcome Centre Communication Centre is available to answer and transfer telephone calls, book appointments and provide information and updates on all programs and services offered in the Welcome Centres. In addition, the centre is responding to voice mail and e-mail messages.
REFUGEE AND HOSTEL SERVICES
COSTI’s Ralph Chiodo Family Immigrant Reception Centre and our Hostel Services continue to serve clients in-person. Our Client Support Services and Mental Health Services staff will be connecting with clients and providing assistance.
416-244-0480 – North York and Surrounding Area
416-534-7400 – Downtown Toronto and Surrounding Area
COSTI’s Settlement Services play a critical role in helping newcomers and immigrants overcome the barriers they face in re-establishing their lives. If you need assistance in accessing services or need supportive counselling, please contact us. Our staff are ready to help.
- Service assessment and intake to identify your needs
- Supportive counselling
- Information and guidance on settlement related issues
- Information and referral to community programs regarding housing services; mental health services; services for seniors; English language instruction; employment services; skills training programs; foreign credential assessment services and finding legal advice
- Referral to government websites
- Guidance on completion of forms such as Employment Insurance, pension, citizenship, work permits and sponsorship
Your support and trust in our services during this difficult time is greatly appreciated.
More information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) here
The Ontario Ministry of Health has developed an information sheet about the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) to inform Ontarians about the virus, how they can protect themselves and what to do if they think they have contracted the 2019 novel coronavirus. The information sheet is available in multiple languages: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-15
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please contact:
- Telehealth Ontario at (1-866-797-0000) – available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Your primary care provider/family doctor
- Your local public health unit